View and read more at http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/2015/03/09/sabah-draws-up-plans-to-tackle-stateless-kids/
KOTA KINABALU, March 9, 2015: Efforts will be undertaken to legalise stateless children in Sabah, but issuing them permanent residence (PR) or absorbing them as Malaysian citizens are not on the cards. Community Development and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Jainab Ahmad Ayid admitted there were problems in solving the issue of stateless children. “As such, we are coming up with paperwork stating recommendations to tackle the issue. “For now, it’s premature to announce our recommendations, but issuing citizenship and PR will not be part of it.” Jainab said this when speaking on issues related to beggars and street kids in the state. She said in the last eight years, 1,557 street kids, mostly without documents, aged between 6 and I8, had been temporarily placed at Rumah Perlindungan Ehsan, a detention centre for undocumented children in Kinarut. To date, only 18 children are still at the centre. “We cannot deny there is a problem, cannot avoid it because it’s there. “We will just have to face the problem, no matter how ugly it is.” Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak proposed during the Parti Bersatu Sabah Convention last year that children whose parents were illegal immigrants be issued with a record of birth document, as part of the effort to keep their records in the database. Sabah National Registration Department director Ismail Ahmad said a red coloured birth certificate was issued to children of foreigners born in the country. This differed from the green-coloured document issued to Malaysian citizens. #Stateless
(Auto-Posted-Link via IFTTT from Justice In Malaysia fbpage on March 10, 2015 at 02:28PM.)
KOTA KINABALU, March 9, 2015: Efforts will be undertaken to legalise stateless children in Sabah, but issuing them permanent residence (PR) or absorbing them as Malaysian citizens are not on the cards. Community Development and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Jainab Ahmad Ayid admitted there were problems in solving the issue of stateless children. “As such, we are coming up with paperwork stating recommendations to tackle the issue. “For now, it’s premature to announce our recommendations, but issuing citizenship and PR will not be part of it.” Jainab said this when speaking on issues related to beggars and street kids in the state. She said in the last eight years, 1,557 street kids, mostly without documents, aged between 6 and I8, had been temporarily placed at Rumah Perlindungan Ehsan, a detention centre for undocumented children in Kinarut. To date, only 18 children are still at the centre. “We cannot deny there is a problem, cannot avoid it because it’s there. “We will just have to face the problem, no matter how ugly it is.” Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak proposed during the Parti Bersatu Sabah Convention last year that children whose parents were illegal immigrants be issued with a record of birth document, as part of the effort to keep their records in the database. Sabah National Registration Department director Ismail Ahmad said a red coloured birth certificate was issued to children of foreigners born in the country. This differed from the green-coloured document issued to Malaysian citizens. #Stateless
(Auto-Posted-Link via IFTTT from Justice In Malaysia fbpage on March 10, 2015 at 02:28PM.)
0 comments:
Post a Comment